Saturday, January 26, 2013

Bed Rest 101 - The Essentials


Now that I am almost six weeks into this journey I wanted to put together a list of the things I wish that I had know when I started.  Much like having a map makes the trip much smoother hopefully this list will help mommas who are faced with the same situation. 
  1. A SCHEDULE - I know that this sounds strange but I actually have timers set on my phone to move me through different activities as the day progresses.  Breaking up your time into small increments makes it seem much more doable.  Jedi mind trick may it be, it works.
  2. COMPUTER (a laptop preferably) - If you don't have one try and borrow one.  Some libraries have rental/check out programs. 
  3. CELL PHONE - In many ways your cell phone and computer will become your connections with what seems to be the very distant outside world.  If your texting plan is limited prepare yourself for at least some overages. 
  4. MOVIES/NETFLIX - We have Netflix streaming.  To me this is a nicety not a necessity but it does help pass the time.  It also allows me to catch up on the chick flics that my husband doesn't want to watch.
  5. A TUMBLER - Mine is HUGE but this allows me to stay hydrated throughout the day while only filling it two to three times.  The straw is also a big help when it comes to downing the sheer amount of fluids that is recommended.
  6. BREAKFAST TRAYS - This is how I eat 90% of the time.  The trays with the legs were a bit problematic but if you can get the ones with just the handles on the side it allows your littles to help and you can set it beside you on the bed or rest it on your growing belly. 
  7. BUSYWORK - If my hands are busy then my mind doesn't have the opportunity to entertain all of the "what ifs" that accompany our situation.  If you don't know how to crochet/knit/needle point now is a great time to learn.  Your start up expense isn't high and you have something cute for your little one when you are finished.
  8. BOOKS - I actually have a Kindle that I use when I teach but I hate reading off of it.  There is just something about an actual book that I love.  It's comforting and I can immediately tell how much I left.  Have books just laying around?  Now is the perfect time to tackle them and reading helps keep your mind sharp. 
  9. A JOURNAL - This journey comes with SO many emotions.  Having a journal allows you to release them all without "kicking the dog" so to speak.  It also helps with perspective.  When the darkness clouds in fill your journal with things you are thankful for.  Pretty soon you will find that the sunshine is starting to peek through once again.
  10. A SUPPORT GROUP - Many sites like BabyCenter have support groups for bed rest mommas.  Join one!  Finding others in your situation allows you to be an encouragement to one another and instead of feeling like an island you feel like a community. 
  11. PILLOWS - The aches and pains that accompany weeks in bed are real so having ways to ease the pressure is imperative.  I have one body, two regular, two bone shaped, and an extra large pillow that are in use at various times throughout the day.  Find what you love and go with it.  What works one day minute may not work the next.  Be prepared to adapt.
  12. FRESH FLOWERS/PLANT - This may seem like a unnecessary expense but that little pop of color can make such a difference when you are stuck inside 99.9% of the day.  If you have windows that open in your room and the weather allows it, open them.  Fresh air does a body and a psyche good.
  13. GAMES - Especially if you have small children this is a way for you to stay involved while also staying in bed.  Candyland, Yahtzee, Memory Match, and Dominoes are big hits around our house.
  14. CARD TABLE - Depending on your restrictions you may or may not be allowed out of bed for meals.  The card table allows your family to dine with you, making you feel much less like you are in exile and much more like an actual member. The legs can also be folded down to provide a hard surface for those games played on your bed. 
  15. TRASH BAGS  - This one sounds silly but I am always left with trash on the nightstand table and it drives me insane.  Keep a small trash bag at the side of your bed and problem solved.
  16. THANK YOU NOTES - If you are blessed enough to have people helping you let them know how appreciative you are.  I have a box of cards with a pen in it that allows me to write one as soon as a dinner is delivered or a treat is dropped off.  I feel better knowing I did "something" even if it wasn't much.
  17. MAKE UP/NAIL POLISH - I am sure some of you are rolling your eyes but in a situation where you feel like being "you" has been put on hold sometimes it's nice to at least look like you.  I don't wear make up everyday but if I am having a particularly rough morning getting ready helps me get past the ugly (no pun intended).
  18. PREPARED SNACKS - My husband has rocked it out in this category and has made sure that I have tons of goodies ready to go.  I have very little appetite so having a large selection makes eating a bit more appealing.
  19.  
    Everyone is different but these are what have worked for me.
    Take what you can, adapt what you need to, and feel free to comment with any additions you can think of.

No comments: