Saturday, January 19, 2013
The First Step
After we arrived home we quickly settled into a routine that involved me laying in bed and the hubs doing everything around the house. To some it might sound like a vacation but to me it was torture. I am ALWAYS busy with something but for the time being the Lord had called me to rest.
Christmas came and went with little fanfare, our tree came down two days later. I think at that point it was just too much to try and deal with on top of everything else. We were all ready for some type of normalcy to return and even something as simple as rearranging our furniture provided moments of peace in a whirlwind of emotion.
At our follow-up appointment our doctor once again reiterated the fact that we would have lost this precious little one if we had not placed the cerclage. My CL (cervix length) before the procedure was 1.8cm with anything under a 2 being considered a high risk situation. As he placed the ultrasound wand on my stomach my eyes remained glued to the screen watching the cursor and waiting for the ever important measurement. 4.71cm seemed almost magical and I finally released the breath I didn't know I was holding. Perhaps, this ride wasn't going to be so bad after all was my first thought, and then he opened his mouth to speak.
"You work don't you?" "Well, yes I teach full-time." "Not anymore." My blank stare must have finally jogged something within in him because he looked at me almost apologetically and said "I really want you down. You may use the restroom, take a shower, make a sandwich if need be, but other than that, down, until you hit 34wks."
Inside I was screaming, but outwardly I just nodded. I was shutting down, unable to cope, incapable of processing the fact that I would be on SBR (strict bed rest) for 13 weeks. There is a dream like quality that existed when I look back at that day, almost as though I was walking in a fog, one that allowed me to see the edges but not the details.
The hubs and I grabbed a quick bite to eat and he tried to make small talk but we both knew that the elephant in the room had to be addressed. Looking back I can clearly see God's hand at work in those minutes and every one before. "If they let me teach online than I will be ok," I told him. It was a glimmer, a spark of hope, something that would require me to have a set schedule and that would also allow for interaction with the outside world on a daily basis. "Do you think that they will let you?" "I won't know until I ask." And with that the texts were sent and the waiting began.
That moment, though short and seemingly inconsequential in the scheme of things acted as a turning point. The fog began to dissipate and I was finally able to see that my time spent at rest was time that I still had control over. It was time that could be spent productively or wallowing in self-pity, the choice was mine. The paths were laid out before me I just had to take the first step.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment