Little did we know that hours later when we heard our nurse paged to the phones it was to talk with our doctor. Fifteen minutes passed before she came in amazed and a bit bewildered. When the words "He is sending you home" came out of her mouth I wasn't sure whether I should squeal or cry. Obviously going home was the end goal of all of this but when so much is hinging on a part of your body that you can't see or feel make changes, there is a certain amount of reassurance that comes from being in the hospital setting.
The hubs and I just looked at one another and started laughing at the irony of it all. The poor man had come prepared for us to stay for days and not four hours later we were repacking everything he had just hauled up to our room. Even though we were excited to be heading home we both knew that the next few weeks were going to be very different for our family. It wasn't until our nurse walked in with discharge papers that we found out just how much different it would really be.
Bed rest...may be up for meals...may get up to use the bathroom...quick showers...lay on left side preferably...stay off of back...schedule follow up for the 26th. Her voice faded in and out as I processed what this meant for our extremely active family. We were fully expecting that I would have to take it easy but complete bed rest? I felt like I was playing the game of LIFE and I had just drawn one of the miss a turn cards.
"Oh dear Lord, how will the girls react, how will I teach, the hubs is on shift work how am I going to handle a 7 and a 4 year old while he is at work?" My list of questions was mounting and my insides were starting to twist as internally I began breaking down, the calm fleeing once agian. The stress must have been evident on my face because seconds later the hubs reached over, took my hand, and just squeezed. It was a silent signal, a code per say, "We've got this..."
As they wheeled me down and the hubs helped me in to the car silence prevailed. I just couldn't quite comprehend how much our lives had changed in the span of three short days. We caught the interstate to head home and I curled up in the passenger seat looking longingly at the cars filled with what seemed to be happy, healthy families whose only concern was finishing up all the loose ends of Christmas.
We drove for miles it seemed before the hubs broke the silence. As he placed his hand on my leg his gentle "Hey" was enough to make me pull me away from the window and shift in my seat to see his face. "I've got you and we've still got her, we will make everything else work, " and you know what? He was right.
No comments:
Post a Comment